Spinnaker Coating is a customer-focused company that develops, manufactures, and markets adhesive-coated paper and film constructions for conversion by printers and industrial users into marketing, identifying, promoting, labeling, and decorating applications. Simply stated we are passionate about delivering the best service in the pressure sensitive industry, bar none! This includes:
- The support of a team of marketing, sales, technical, operations, and order fulfillment professionals who offer all of our customers product and application expertise and logistical support, as well as fast, reliable answers to their questions and concerns
- The availability of a broad array of analytical and physical testing capabilities that enables us to recommend the best product for our customers' needs
- A variety of interactive tools on our web site that provide fast, accurate information about our products and services, and a convenient method of seeking product recommendations and placing sample, quote, and technical requests
The Company was founded in 1928 as Brown-Bridge Mills, by two Troy, Ohio businessmen: Herbert Brown and Perce Bridge. From its humble beginnings as a manufacturer of water sensitive conventional gummed papers and cloths, Brown-Bridge saw its family of products expand extensively over the years, as the Company successfully developed and assimilated new adhesive technologies.
Over its 84 year history, the Company has undergone a series of ownership and business changes; one constant, however, has been the dedication and service orientation of our people:
- In 1971, Brown-Bridge was purchased by Kimberly-Clark Corporation, the renown paper-based consumer products company
- In 1994, Kimberly-Clark sold the Company to an investment group, which changed the name in 1997 to Spinnaker Coating, Inc. and began to focus almost exclusively on the manufacture of materials for label converters that utilize pressure sensitive adhesives
- On March 28, 2002, current senior management, with the support of a private equity group, acquired the assets of the business and commenced operations under the name Spinnaker Coating, LLC. With this change the Company developed a Mission Statement focused on providing industry-leading service to what we came to call the "underserved" segments of our markets
- In April of 2006, the senior management team, together with a select group of private investors, secured 100% ownership of the Company
- In 2007, company-owned regional slitting distribution centers were established in Vails Gate, NY and Lemont, IL, to service customers throughout the Northeast and Midwest. Two additional regional slitting distribution centers were opened in 2012 in Forest Park, Georgia and Brea, California
- On February 1, 2012, in the most significant and exciting development in our long history, our investors chose to sell 100% of the Company to a newly-created Employee Stock Ownership Trust. This ownership structure will allow current and future Employee Owners, over time, to gain full beneficial ownership interest in the Company - without any personal investment!
The Employee Owners of Spinnaker are excited about the opportunity we have been given. Our expanding product line, in both sheet and roll form, is used throughout the label printing and converting industry in a wide variety of applications, including gift tags, cosmetics, food packaging, bar codes, and a multitude of household and other products. Combined with the industry-leading service we provide to our customers, we strongly believe that the Company and our Employee Owners are extremely well-positioned for a bright and thriving future.